Total Pageviews

Thursday 9 November 2017

PARTIAL AGREEMENT: USEFUL EXPRESSIONS (B2 LANGUAGE LEVEL)



In the Speaking part of an international exam you will certainly be asked questions that invite you to say whether you agree or disagree with an issue. However, you do not necessarily need to agree or disagree entirely on the subject matter. In practical terms, this means that it is also possible to agree with reservation, especially when you do not accept something completely. 

Here are some expressions you can use to agree partially.



  • You're right when you say (that)..., but what about...?
  • That is not necessarily so. 
  • It is not as simple as it seems. 
  • I agree with you in principle, but… 
  • I agree with you in part, but… 
  • I agree to a certain extent.
  • Well, you could be right, but,…
  • I agree with you up to a point, but
  • I see your point, but …
  • To a certain extent yes, but…
  • I see what you mean, but...
  • I can see your point, but...
  • Yes, but isn't it the case that...
  • I see what you mean, but...
  • I don't entirely agree with you. 
  • There is some truth in what you say, but...
  • OK, that's true, but what about...?
  • That's an interesting point, but 
  • That’s partly true, but …
  • I’m not so sure about that.
  • True enough, but….
  • I’m not really with you on that one.
  • That’s not really how I see it, I’m afraid.
  • I wouldn’t go as far as to say that.

Study these common expressions and find a friend or a group that you can practise debating with.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system

Disqus Shortname