Total Pageviews

Tuesday 7 November 2017

EXPRESSING PAST REGRET



Have you ever wished something had turned out differently? If so, this is the feeling of regret. To regret something is to wish it had never happened or to feel sorry about something wrong you have done.  In order to express regret in English, you may use different structures. Here are some of them.

1-Wish + past perfect

Example:

I wish I’d been a better mother to my son
They wish they hadn’t spent so much money on their shopping trip.’


2- How I wish 

Example:

How I wish I had told him the truth.


3- If only + past perfect

Example:

If only I had not spent so much money.


4-Conditional type 3

You can also express regret by using a conditional sentence (3rd conditional)

Example:

If I had studied harder, I would have passed the exam.

4.1Inverted Conditional Form

In conditional clauses, an auxiliary verb can be put before the subject.

Example:

•Had I understood the problem, I wouldn’t have made those mistakes. (= If I
had understood the problem, I wouldn’t have made those mistakes.)

5.Should have + past participle

Regret may also be expressed by using a modal should:

Examples:

  • I should have sent her an invitation.
  • He should have done his homework

6. I regret...
You can express regret by using:

Examples:
  • I regret not speaking to her before she left.
  • She doesn’t regret leaving him.
  • He regrets not traveling more when he was younger.
  • I don’t regret anything that I've done in my life.

7. Why on earth…? 

Example. 

Why on earth did I buy that car? 


Have you ever done anything you regret? Talk about:

  • A course you wish you had taken
  • Something you shouldn’t have lent
  • Something you shouldn’t have eaten
  • A decision you should have made
  • A person you should have treated differently
  • Someone you wish you had stayed in touch with
  • A place you regret going to
  • Something you shouldn’t have said
  • Something you should have remembered
  • Something you should have bought
  • A day you should have stayed in bed 
  • Something you shouldn’t have done

For Portuguese speakers

If only = Quem dera!/ Se pelo menos…
I wish = Eu gostaria…

Why on earth? =Por que carga d'água…?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system

Disqus Shortname